You can view our June newsletter below or download a PDF version here – June Newsletter (1)
Play, Grow and Learn Together Kindness, Respect and Curiosity
Burnbrae Primary School
144 Burnbrae Road
Burnbrae Early and Complex Needs – Hopefield Joint Campus
Thank you to everyone who attended Pupil Progress Meetings this week. I am delighted that 97% of our parents signed up for this. The others will be meeting staff at meetings. We are reviewing our communication procedures for Parents/Carers and welcome your feedback to help us make appropriate changes. You can provide feedback when you are in school this week or from home using the QR code below.
Further Inspection of Burnbrae Primary School and Nursery Class
We welcomed visitors from Education Scotland to our school from 31 January to 3 February this year. They have written a letter to parents and carers of children at Burnbrae which will be published and available to read next week on Tuesday 28 March 2023. The letter will be published on the Education Scotland website at www.education.gov.scot.
Free Bus Travel
Don’t miss out on free bus travel
61% of secondary school pupils and 46% of primary school pupils in Midlothian already have their National Entitlement Card giving them free bus travel across Scotland. All young people aged between 5 and under 22 in Scotland are entitled to travel by bus for free. If you or the young person in your family doesn’t yet have the pass, the easiest way to apply is online but you can find lots of different ways on the council website. Don’t miss the chance to save money, explore Scotland and help the environment. Apply now
School Lunch Menu
The new school lunch menu can be downloaded from the Latest News section on our school website – https://burnbrae.mgfl.net/latest-news/
A gentle reminder to encourage learners to bring only water to school in their water bottles. It has come to our attention that some pupils have been bringing in PRIME which is inappropriate for school. Please also be reminded that Burnbrae Primary aims to be a nut free school. Please give your child nut free products for lunch and break. Please do not send your child to school with nutella sandwiches or nutella products.
Gym Kit and indoor shoes
Children should have a change of shoes for use inside the school and in particular for use of the PE hall. Clean gym shoes or trainers keep the hall mud free and safe for children participating in sports. We would be happy to accept donations of used gym shoes or trainers in good condition which could be used to ensure that all children can join PE safely.
A group of children in the school have set up a social enterprise called ‘Organic Planet’. Organic Planet has three key aims;
- Vegetable gardening and health food production.
- Community Cafe – using the food we have grown in our garden.
- Food Waste/Food recycling campaigning.
Organic Planet is registered with the Social Enterprise Academy – they run a ‘Dragon’s Den’ event – that we will be pitching at, Organic Planet will also be featured in a special edition of The Big Issue magazine. To make that really successful and to evidence our Business Plan – please can you complete the questionnaire using the QR code above.
- The last skiing lesson for P6 was 16 March and children received certificates in recognition of their achievements. Well done to all!
- P2 and P3 have enjoyed successful educational visits to the History of Education Centre learning about school life in the past.
- The Drumming for Excellence programme is currently happening for P4 and P5 following an excellent interactive performance for the whole school ‘Release the Rhythm’ promoting teamwork.
- Speak out Stay Safe NSPC Programme will be taking place during week beginning 24 April
- Bike Repair 28 April pop up workshop will take place from 12-2pm at Burnbrae Primary. This is a great opportunity to get your bike ready for the road free of charge.
- P4 classes are planning a visit to the Water of Leith visitor centre in May
Thursday 30 March 3:15 PE Hall School Community warmly invited.
- Two new permanent teachers appointed to Burnbrae Primary. Miss Mairi Lawrie, an experienced teacher from Edinburgh and Ms Laura Dodds currently teaching in West Lothian, will join our staff after the Easter Break as soon as recruitment checks have been completed. They will replace Mrs Jo Briggs and Miss Kai Lothian.
- Kai Lothian Starting a new job at St Mary’s RC Primary on 2 May
- Lisa Reid Learning Assistant started in SCN
- Maitri Mehta MA has moved on to a new post in Woodburn ELC
- Sharyn McKenzie will remain at Burnbrae on a Monday, is supporting training and other settings across the week
- Avril Carmichael EYP at Burnbrae Early is choosing to take early retirement after 38 years working for Midlothian Council in order to embark on an exciting new adventure. We appreciate all she has contributed and send our best wishes. Her last day at Burnbrae will be Wednesday 29rd March
- Natalie Barker Learning Assistant who has been working in P1 is moving on with our best wishes
ELC and P1
Phone calls or in person appointments took place during the week beginning 20th March for all children planning to start Primary One in August. Children who will remain in ELC from August will be offered an appointment after the Easter break.
We will soon be sharing information with you to support children moving on to Primary One. Our ELC – P1 transition webpage is currently being updated you can however view the plans for last year which includes useful information and stories from the current Primary One teaching team – https://burnbrae.mgfl.net/elc-p1-transition/
The CN Team were delighted to see so many families join us for our March Shared Learning Event.
Parent Consultations for our learners are taking place over the next few weeks. All parents have been invited to sign up for a time for an in person meeting or a phone call.
We continue to share regular learning updates and general school information on Seesaw. If you are having any difficulty accessing Seesaw, please contact us via the school office.
Thank you for your continued support of the school.
Important Dates – more dates to follow
|Date||Event||Who is involved|
|24 March||Class Assembly at 9:15am||P3B|
|29 March||Class Assembly at 9:15am||P4C|
|31 March||Spring Term Ends||Whole School|
|17 April||Summer Term Starts||Whole School|
|20 April||Parent Council at 7pm – details to follow||Warm invitation to parents/ carers|
|28 April||Shared Learning Assembly||P6A|
|1 May||May Day Holiday||Whole School|
|5 May||Class Assembly||P2B|
|8 May||Kings Coronation – School Closed||Whole School|
|12 May||Class Assembly||P3A|
|15 May||Bikeability Level 2||P6 & P7|
Victoria Day school closed to pupils
In Service Day for staff
|24 May||Whole school shared learning 2:45-3:15||All pupils|
|2 June||Class Assembly 9:15am||P4B|
|9 June||Class Assembly 9:15am||P3/2|
|14 June||Transition day at Lasswade HS||P7|
|15 June||Transition day at Lasswade HS||P7|
|16 June||Transition day at Lasswade HS||P7|
|16 June||Class Assembly 9:15am||P5C|
|23 June||Class Assembly||P7|
|28 June||Summer Term Ends||Whole School|