Welcome to P1 Presentation, please click on the link below to download or select the images below – BB P1 Information June 2022.pptx
Welcome from Miss Mitchell P1A
Welcome from Mrs Hamlyn P1B
Welcome from Mrs McLaren P1C
Useful Links for Parents/Carers
- Children joining CN provision
- Children joining SCN provision
- PresentationNovember 2021 – P1 November presentation (1)
- Top ten tips for parents and families
- Getting ready for school
- Best Start Grant and Best Start Foods
- Burnbrae Uniform
- Free School Meals and Clothing Grants
- Virtual tours of schools – open the map of Midlothian then select your high school catchment area to find your primary or secondary school tour
- Midlothian Top Tips for Parents Transitions 2021
- Curriculum for Excellence in a Nutshell
- Burnbrae School Handbook
- Seesaw Policy and Guidelines
- Seesaw FamilyHandout
- Active Schools – P1 Guide to Sport
- Mid Mouse Parent leaflet
- Education Scotland Thinglink
CN, SCN and P1D
Families with a child joining Complex Needs Provision (CN) or Social and Complex Needs Provision (SCN) will be contacted individually with further transition information.
5th May 2022 Initial Transition Letter as Follows –
We are delighted that your child will be joining Primary One in Burnbrae in August. For some of you this will be your first experience of Burnbrae Primary, we would like to extend a very warm welcome to you and your family. We look forward to working with you all. Moving on from an early years setting to school is a very important milestone for your child and we want to work with you to ensure that the transition is smooth for all. All our transition activities must comply with public health advice to ensure all young people, staff and parents/carers are safe.
We will provide you with further details about our transition activities over the coming weeks but wanted to share an outline of the plan.
- Take part in an intergenerational community transition project ‘Mid Mouse’. This project should be undertaken in all Midlothian ELC settings
- Be able to listen to stories read by Burnbrae staff which will be made available via the school website in June
- Transition visit on the afternoon of Friday 10th June – times will be shared as soon as possible
- Have opportunities to visit Burnbrae Primary and join P1 for assembly
- Be invited to an online presentation on the evening of June 1st at 6:30pm
- Have access to a ThingLink which will give them a virtual tour of the school and allow them to see into the key areas of the school that their child will access. This can also be shared with the children
- Be able to view our dedicated transition page on our website where you can see all our transition information including links to the virtual tour both of which will be updated regularly – https://burnbrae.mgfl.net/elc-p1-transition/
- Have opportunities to ask questions via email or telephone call
- Liaise with ELC staff to gather information about your child
- Continue the Mid Mouse transition project in August
Our aim is for you to feel confident and secure about what lies ahead and this will in turn help children to be happy and relaxed. If you have any questions in the meantime, please do not hesitate to get in touch either by email Burnbrae.email@example.com or by calling the school office on 0131 271 4605.
25th May 2022, Second Transition Letter –
Friday 10 June at 12:30 – 1, 1:15 – 1:45 and 2 – 2:30 – Your child and an adult are invited to meet school staff and see the P1 classroom at the school in small groups for half an hour.
You will receive an invitation for your child at one of these times. Your child will have the opportunity to play and the teaching staff will share information and answer questions the adults may have about coming to P1.
The uniform bank will be available outside.
Friday 17 June – Your child is invited to attend Burnbrae Primary to meet their teacher and be part of their P1 class from 9:30 -10:30am. At 10:30 parents are invited to take their child for a snack in the dining hall, meet our Catering Supervisor and see the set up for lunch. If your child attends Burnbrae Early and you cannot bring your own child on that day a member of ELC staff will bring your child and let them experience the dining hall.
School starts on Wednesday 17 August 2022 for all children and last session we successfully asked each child to attend for 1 hr on this first day. This gives parents an opportunity to update the class teacher on any developments over the summer and provides an opportunity to experience the class for a short time with a smaller group while avoiding the busyness experienced at the start and end of the school day. You will receive an individual invitation for this.
18 August all children attend from 09:00-12:00
19 August all children attend from 09:00-12:00
Monday 22 August all P1 children in all day 08:50-15:15
What is Mid mouse?
Mid mouse is an authority wide, community based transition project which will help to support your child as they move from their home & early learning & childcare setting into school. Each child will be gifted a mouse which can be used as an object to support and share their journey. Every school and early learning and childcare setting will also have a mouse, similar to your child’s. Mid mouse will be a part of this special time of change for your child and can be with them every step of the way.
Week 1 – 10th May 2022
Click on the link to download a copy of suggested activities for week 1 –There’s a Bear on my Chair Transitions Story
Week 2 – 17th May 2022
Click on the link to download a copy of suggested activities for week 2-
Week 3 – 24th May 2022
Click on the link to download a copy of suggested activities for week 3-
Week 4 – 31st May 2022
Week 5 – 7th June 2022
Click on the link to download a copy of suggested activities for week 5 –
Giraffes Can’t Dance Transitions Story
Starting School Story Time
Click on the links to listen to the stories –
- Mae’s first day of school, Kate Berube
- Whiffy Wilson the wolf who wouldn’t go to school, Caryl Hart
- The Colour Monster goes to school, Anna Llenas
- First Day at Bug School, Sam Lloyd
- Starting school, Janet and Allan Ahlberg
- How do Dinosaurs go to school?, Jane Yolen
- I am absolutely too small for school, Lauren Child
- Lucy and Tom go to school, Shirley Hughes
- Mouse’s first night at Moonlight school, Simon Puttock
- Bobbo goes to school, Shirley Hughes
- Going to school, Usborne First Experiences
- The Everywhere Bear, Julia Donaldson
- Don’t worry little crab, Chris Haughton
- Ruby’s Worry, Tom Percival
- Tough guys have feelings too, Keith Negley
- All the ways to be smart, Davina Bell